Who doesn't love fresh bread warm from the oven, er... bread machine? I know I certainly do - it's my worst weakness! I thought I would share with you this recipe. It's my best success story at a long line of failed bread recipes! Too, dry, too flat, too flaky, too doughy. You name it, we've tried it. This is the best recipe ever, though! Who'd have thought to try recipes for regular bread in the bread machine? Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
And speaking of winners, I just have to congratulate Yvonne Wickham on signing her first downline, Sara Armstrong! Welcome to the team, Sara! Now, without further ado..
Simple Whole Wheat Bread
1 cup warm water
5/8 (.25 oz) package dry active yeast (one slightly rounded tsp.)
1 Tablespoon and 2-1/4 teaspoon honey
1-2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1 Tablespoon and 2-1/4 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup and 4 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons butter, melted
1. In a small glass, mix warm water, yeast and 1 Tablespoon and 2-1/4 teaspoons honey. In the bread machine, add 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour, then pour in the yeast mixture. Mix until just combined and let set for 30 minutes or until big and bubbly.
2. Add 1 Tablespoon melted butter, 1 Tablespoon and 2-1/4 teaspoons honey, salt and 1 cup plus 4 Tablespoons whole wheat flour.
3. Start your bread machine cycle as directed. I set mine at the smaller 1.5 lb. loaf size, and light color. It shows 2 hours and 53 minutes on the display for the cycle time. (I actually stop it at about 27-25 minutes to go on the bake time.)
4. After the mix cycle and during the first rise cycle, brush approx. 1 teaspoon melted butter over the top. This makes the crust really soft. Then on the final rise cycle, brush the second teaspoon over the top.
5. Don't forget to pull it out early at about 27-25 minutes to go.
The recipe originally made 3 loaves in the oven in 9x5 bread loaf pans on 350 for 25-30 minutes in case you've a hankerin' to do it the old fashioned way.
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6